In The Face of Adversity

Written 1/25/18

2013 - 2015 is a big gap in my blog. These have been trying years.

In these newer posts, I aim to change the tone and focus of my writing and direct it toward more external concerns as I shift away from writing about internal and personal concerns as much.

In the recent months, I have researched more and more the impact political and governmental decisions have in our daily living. There has been much talk on the internet about the discrepancies between the Constitution and the IRS code as to the lawful requirement or the lack thereof for citizens to pay taxes on their wages. I will cover some of these issues in another blog I have, for which you are welcome to reach out to me, as I will not be posting the blog name in this site. All views aside, however, all issues pertaining to governmental power are the very face of adversity. You hear in the news or even in your neighborhood, constant talk of things involving governmental control that seem out of place, immoral and plain outrageous. You hear millions of conspiracy theories of secret and powerful societies controlling those in power and on and on, but when do you ever hear the words of comfort that the world longs to hear? The face of adversity stares us in the eye and we don't have the words to settle our own fears.

Growing up, my parents taught me and my siblings about the Bible and God. We prayed every night, and every night, we recited Psalm 4:8 "In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for you for O Lord, make me dwell in safety." It means much more than resting the body at night; it means closing your eyes and having no fears before shutting down into a vulnerable sleep and trusting that you can wake up just as you fell asleep. What kind of peace is this that we can be in the midst of chaos and the center of tragedy and have no fears, no worries, but know that we are in good hands? There is no peace like this on earth. Not even the words of a parent that "everything's gonna be okay" can appease some fears. So, what peace is this? If you go back one verse: Psalm 4:7 "And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - "Great", you might say, more religious mumbo. Have you tried

Popular posts from this blog

Without Grumbling

MISSIONS

Culiacan, first week