Pandora’s Jar - A Myth Retold




Pandora was amazed at the presents she had been given by the gods, they were all so great. After thanking them time after time, she took her gifts and wandered about in the woods, only happy for her new possessions, beauty and skill. As she roamed about, she felt puzzled inside. She sat near a large, tall tree, her jar in hand and thought.
“What do the gods expect of me now” She wondered, captured by utter silence and stillness. The freshness of the morning breeze still clinging to the atmosphere, she couldn’t help but notice the strange feeling of contentedness it brought to her. She breathed it all in, it was all good.
“The gods love me; they like to give great things to me. All I have to do is take them” She resolved her thinking and rose to her feet, hugging the vase she carried in her arms, a gift from the gods which she was instructed never to open. She began walking toward a path surrounded by tall, thin trees and looked around. She was alone, no one was in sight. She hadn’t seen anyone since the gods had left her. The only ones she ever knew, were now gone, although they said they would be with her always. As she kept walking, turning her attention to the right, she saw an open space, no trees there, only grass and wet soil. She strode closer where sunshine lit the sparkling green grass and stood in the center. The sunlight hurt her eyes as she tried to look up to it, but it felt warm and peaceful. She decided to rest there and she cuddled in the warm, soft grass, there was no wet soil there.

“Pandora, wake up. Pandora, come.” A whisper reached Pandora’s ear. She opened one eye and stood up quickly and clumsily. It was the god Zeus; he had given her the vase she now carried.
“Pandora, I am here to appoint you to your husband. You will live with him and be happy together. Come now, child.” He grabbed her by the hand and they walked together, although Pandora had felt it more like flying.
~
“Oh, must you go? Why not stay here a while?” Pandora insisted Zeus stay with her.
“No Pandora, you must go in to your home now and be happy. Go now child. Go.” He said, so gently she could not withstand to his instruction. She put a smile on her beautiful face and paced into her new home with her husband Epimetheus.

Epimetheus was kind and loving to Pandora and they were happy, as Zeus had said. Even though Epimetheus came home from working all day, Pandora began to feel lonely. She missed her husband all day and when he came back home, she was so worn out from working herself, that she paid little attention to her husband. She was growing cold and emotionless toward Epimetheus.
One day, when Epimetheus was away and Pandora was home, alone, she thought of the gods. She was indignant,
“Why would Zeus say that Epimetheus and I would be happy, when he is never home, he speaks little to me now, he does not tell me that he loves me. He knows nothing, how could he? He’s a god. He does not feel the way I feel. Maybe he knows nothing at all about anything. The Jar, he said ‘Do not open it, my child, not ever’. Hypocrite! He knew nothing! Not even then. I will open the jar; it will be a gift (something beautiful like the rest of the presents), to comfort me of Epimetheus’ absence and lack of love toward me. I shall do it; I will open the lid to the Jar. No one will stop me, I will be happy then.”

She ran quickly to her room and looking under the bed, dragged the Jar she had so longed to open. Finally, she would know what was in it. Slowly and cautiously, the lid plopped open. She quickly peeked inside and her face grew pale and her look was awestruck. It was empty. She wept loudly, cries of disappointment reached Epimetheus in a rush. She felt empty, guilty. She could not bear the pain. If the pain was of disappointment or of guilt, it didn’t matter, not anymore. She had disobeyed. She dropped the vase on the floor and collapsed.

Epimetheus ran into the room and approaching Pandora, he tenderly took her in his arms and placed her on the bed. He quickly grabbed the Jar and placed the lid back on.

“Oh husband, I am sorry. I meant only to be comforted of your absence. I am sorry.” She said between sobs, “I was lonely, when you went away, to work. I felt you loved me not anymore.” Epimetheus looked at her compassionately and said,
“Quiet. Weep no more, I am here and I love you. I have always loved you. I began to think you did not love me. You would no longer speak to me, you wept at night, I tried to comfort you but you would not let me. Oh, come now, we will be happy again. We love each other and we will be comforted.”
“Yes, I will always try to be happy, with you. I DO love you, Epimetheus, I do.”
Feel free to comment on anything that I might need to change, because I haven't revised it!
Thanks to all! -God Bless

Popular posts from this blog

Without Grumbling

MISSIONS

Culiacan, first week